Before the cadets arrived, the permanent staff had already moved into their quarters. The permanent military staff was composed of six officers and thirteen enlisted men. First Lieutenant George N. Miles was the first Commanding Officer, but he was replaced early on by Captain Richard F. Hartman, who was soon afterward promoted to Major. Hartman commanded the detachment for the rest of its stay in Oshkosh after replacing Miles. While the faculty and staff of OSTC were responsible for academics and boarding, Hartman and his staff saw to the military indoctrination of the soldiers and ensured that all army regulations were followed during the cadets' stay in Oshkosh.
The first 400 cadets arrived from Jefferson Barracks, Missouri and Miami, Florida on March 29, 1943. They had made it through basic training and had come to Oshkosh to fly for the first time and learn the other skills they would need as future pilots, bombers, and navigators.
Over the course of 1943, the detachment called up cadets from Greensboro, North Carolina and Keesler Field, Mississippi, as well as cadets from Utah, Texas, and even cadets who had seen action in Iceland and North Africa.